County Formed: December 30, 1851
County Seat: Dalton
Incorporated Cities: Dalton, Cohutta, Tunnel Hill, Varnell
Total Area: 290 square miles
History:† Whitfield County was formed from part of Murray County in 1851. Georgia’s 97th county was named for the Reverend George Whitefield, the founder of the Bethesda Orphan House in Savannah. The spelling of the county’s name was changed to reflect the way it was pronounced. Dalton is the gateway to the 150 mile Chieftain’s Trail which traces the path of the Cherokee Indian sites located in northwest Georgia.
Points of Interest: The Creative Arts Guild, the Dalton-Whitfield Commission for the Arts, is the oldest local community arts agency in Georgia. The area is very rich in Civil War history with 32 historical markers, more than any other Georgia county. Also located in the county is the only known statue of General Joseph E. Johnston.
Higher Education: Dalton State College, a two-year unit of the University System of Georgia, is also located in the county.
Annual Events: Some of the local festivals include the Prater‘s Mill Country Fair, Kudzo Festival, and the CAG Fine Arts Festival.
† Source: Department of Community Affairs